I have just did a small test run in my website: http://www.mcloide.com and tomorrow I will post the results for you guys here.
Anyway is a great post and if you are having the same difficulties, this might help you out.
I have just checked the analytics for my site and it did correctly got the Blackberry, Nokia N90 and the Sony Ericsson. I have only one entry for Safari, so I guess that was for the Iphone string (it shows Iphone on the operating systems part).
All the entries shows the fake url (that’s how it was instructed at the blog) and the IP of origin. It also shows 100% of bounce rate.
It definitively works. I will keep it on my site for a long time track and see how things are going and anything new I will post a new update.